Saturday, February 15, 2014

Chillin' in the NICU sporting some sunglasses

Today seemed to fly by. First thing this morning, we were at the agency signing our  name and initials 500 times. Not sure how many, but it was a ton! It was wonderful to meet many people at the agency that we have worked with over the phone and email but never met. They were so nice and happy for us. Then we headed to Salt Lake to the courthouse to appear before a judge so we don't have to come back in 6 months for finalization. It seemed so official and I felt so thankful we were at this point. It's all such a miracle to me.

I was so anxious to get over to the hospital. We made it just in time for the feeding and I was able to nurse both girls. They love it and I love it.

Audrey was off her IV which was wonderful to see! They were both on a bilirubin light but the doctor said it wasn't a big deal - but they just thought they would give them the extra light since it was so available at the hospital. It's nothing that would keep them in the hospital. They were just a bit jaundiced but not bad. At this point, their only hurdle to jump before going home is to gain some weight. They've both lost a bit, which is normal, but they need to show some signs of gaining weight. They are still doing well with their feedings so hopefully they will gain soon and not have to get an NG tube to help them along. They are still so tiny and young. It may just take them a little time to grow up and get stronger and more alert to eat more.

The girls are just dying to hold their baby sisters. We are crossing out fingers it will happen tomorrow morning with our day nurse who is anxious to help Ash and Sadie hold them. We will see.

We didn't get as many pictures of the babies today. One reason is because I was on my own with the babies some of the time while Dave was in Orem picking up the kids from Brittany and Sam's house and also stopping in to visit Grandma. No way did I have a chance to take a picture when I was doing everything solo!! At one point when they were both fed and back in their little cribs, I looked at Anna's cute little position while sleeping. I grabbed my phone for a photo. Then I looked at Audrey and she was in the exact position. Adorable.

Some have asked how alike they look. We think we can tell them apart, until Dave gives me a quiz. He tested me on his phone as he put just their face (no bows or IV or anything that helped us tell them apart) and I have to admit I didn't get all of the pictures right. So they look a lot alike but not identical.

The other night I was talking on my sleep and Dave heard me say "I just have to go be with my babies." You can tell what's on my mind...even in my sleep.

Best Valentine's Day ever. Lots and lots and lots of love in that room. One wonderful thing is that the babies get their own NICU room. In fact, all of the babies in the NICU either have their own room or just have one roommate. It makes for some nice privacy.
 Here they are with the lights to help with their bilirubin levels. Notice their same position with their arms.

This gives some perspective as to their size. Their head height is just a little bigger than Dave's thumb

1 comment:

Seriously... said...

just got caught up on all of your posts. they are beautiful! i bet you can't wait to get them back to your house and just keep soaking them in! so excited for you guys, keep the updates coming!!!