Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Glad Game

Lots of times I've heard my sister-in-law saying how they needed to play the "Glad Game" when they were sad. Did you get this game from Pollyanna, Jamie? I remember watching Pollyanna when we were little, but I had forgotten about the Glad Game. So when I was reading to the girls this week, and we read all about Pollyanna's Glad Game, we decided to play it ourselves.

Ashlyn's sad thing: I didn't want to play dodgeball with my class at school.
Ashlyn's Glad Game: At least I could get out a few times (meaning, out of the game) so I could talk with my friends who were already out.

Sadie's sad thing: I don't get to be the line leader at school very often.
Sadie's Glad Game: Sometimes when I'm not the line leader, and I hurry up, I can be close to the front of the line.

Nate's sad game: I still mess my diaper so many times a day, and it gives me owie diaper rashes.
Nate's Glad Game: At least I know how to mess my diaper. (This will only make sense if you knew about Nate's surgery.)

Mom's sad game: By 10:30 a.m. every room in our house has been torn apart by Nate.
Mom's Glad Game: I am so glad to have a baby. I love how happy it makes Nate to one by one, take everything out of every cupboard in every room. It makes me smile.

Nate has turned into a super picky eater. He has a few favorites, like his oatmeal and mashed banana every morning. He doesn't like to try new things, and most of the time will spit it out if he happens to try it. What to do? I sure don't know. So you could imagine our surprise when I fixed tilapia, brown rice and peas - and Nate devoured every last bite. He got lots of claps from his family around the table, and he loved cheering for himself, too! He loved working on getting each little pea on his fork, and sometimes got two...and then he really cheered for himself. Nate's clap includes a vocal cheer of delight with himself.


Mama and Nate looking for fish at the local Meramac Springs. They had a little festival where they went back to the 1800s and demonstrated all sorts of crafts done in those days. We watched a woman make her own dolls and the girls each got a little kit to make one themselves. The highlight for Nate was feeding the fish. Too bad he also wanted to feed himself the fish food. Why is it that Nate is so super picky with human food, but will try whatever it takes to get fish and goat food in his mouth?


In addition to eating animal food, Nate's other pasttimes include sitting in his dresser drawers while dumping his clothes out. He gets so tickled to be sitting (or standing) inside his drawers.


Jamie - Ashlyn wants me to tell you that she has a girl in her class at school named Jamie, and she saw her at the bookfair at school.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Another Jamie! Cool, Ashyln!!!

Glad you guys played the glad game. It helps, doesen't it!!!! I play that ALL the time!!!! And, yes, I did learn that from Pollyanna!!!!!

Nate!!!! You are ADORABLE!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was sad I had to quit looking at this cute blog to go make dinner. I was happy when Dad showed up to help me. It looks like those peas could keep Nate occupied for a very long time!

Jessie said...

What a great idea! The Glad Game. I'll have to play that with my kids. They tend to be quite the complainers sometimes... :)

Andrea said...

That is the CUTEST face of Nate in the drawer. He looks so happy and proud of himself.

Gramma Bean said...

Soooo glad Nate knows how to mess his diaper too!@
I have pictures of Scott in all sorts of drawers throwing out the clothes too!
So fun to see your kids grow up! they are wonderful!

The Wilhelms said...

I love the glad game idea. I shall have to steal it. It is especially great because the word GAME is in the name! I think it may work better than..."I don't want to have (fill in the blank) for dinner." " Yes well there are plenty of children in the world who are starving and would love to have ___ for dinner. Be grateful." Somehow that doesn't have the greatest effect on my children.

I cannot believe how grown up Nate looks! It seems like only yesterday you were pregnant with him (Okay, not yesterday, but not 2 years ago!!)

We always meant to get out to Mermac Caverns, but somehow never made it there. Glad it was fun!

Becky Hardt said...

Melissa, Nate and Cora must be twins. But I like your "glad" take on it. At least she is having fun tearing the house apart, and at least it teaches me not to be OCD about cleanliness, and also, at least she enjoys eating veggies (pureed, though they may be).