Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Still pretending to be farmers

After 3 months of our kind neighbor mowing our lawn, Dave couldn't take it any longer out of feeling guilt every time he pulled in from work to our neighbor mowing our lawn every 5 days (it didn't need it that much - but our neighbor really likes to mow). The kids all had fun helping Dave mow. I didn't get a picture of myself - but I quite had the fun time as well (I did it all by myself...Dave wasn't the driver).


Sadie held on to Dave's arms like this the whole time. Something about it was so cute to me.


Nate had more fun than he is expressing in this photo. He was a bit apprehensive about this wild machine that was loud and went fast, but every time they zoomed by me, I got a hesitant smile from Nate. Now every time we walk past the mower in the garage, Nate makes all sorts of excited noises.

The girls are plotting which way to empty the wagon full of weeds. Well, at least I think that's what they were doing. Their job was to dump the weeds out there, but I guess they had to plan it out first?

Ashlyn's shaking our cream to make butter. We shook and shook and shook, and before too long we had our own butter!



We went to a mozzarella making class last week. Then we went home and tried it ourselves. Here the girls are separating the curds from the whey.

Next you stretch the cheese over and over like pulling taffy. This is mostly to squeeze the rest of the whey out.

It turned out so delicious! I love it so much better than the store's mozzarella, so now I guess I have to keep making it.

We also tried making yogurt - but I have some more to learn on that one.

6 comments:

emily said...

I used to put my boys to sleep on the riding mower for nap time. I was waiting to see a picture of Dave holding you while mowing the lawn! HA! Looks fun. Cheese? Wow, amazing.

Jamie said...

Butter! Cheese!! Wowa! That is so cool!

The Fanning's Ark said...

Forget the tractor... the girls are what remind me of REAL farmers. I especially like Sadie's beautiful wind blown hair.

Andrea said...

Is there anything you don't do?

Sheri said...

You never cease to amaze me in how much you do.!!!

Dad said...

Ole Melissa had a farm, ee ii ee ii oo