Saturday, July 12, 2008
Our new little friends
We sang "Old Macdonald had a farm..." on the way to get our chickens. And we had pancakes and scrambled eggs to start our day of buying chickens and in a few months having fresh eggs!
We got 14 chickens and 1 turkey. Once we find out which ones are hens and roosters, we'll get rid of the roosters so we should end up with about 7. I couldn't resist getting a turkey. And it should be full grown for TG, so if anyone wants to eat fresh turkey, come on over!
Ash and Sadie held them like babies all day.
Ashlyn named this one "Puff-ball."
This is their temporary housing while they are little and while Dave is building the coop. Nate was about hyper-ventilating sometimes when he would peek in to see the chickens. He LOVES animals.
We took the little guys on a field trip in the backyard to hunt for insects. It was so entertaining watching them peck in the ground for little critters. And it was cute how they all stayed together.
Sadie gave them a ride through the yard on our hunt for food. One chicken lucked out to eat the grasshopper Ashlyn caught. The rest enjoyed beatles, termites, ants, and spiders. Yum!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Can't wait to hear more chicken stories! These pics are too cute. Is Dave building a chicken coop with nesting bins? How fun is this!!
I had no idea you were a "country girl"! I hope your husband doesn't do like mine and chase them around!
Melissa -- I'm so jealous! We tried to get chickens at our house here ... but thought we'd get in trouble with the HOA ... we'll get them eventually! Way to go ... and ADORABLE!
Now, that looks like fun!! Brings back memories for me. Although, ours were usually ducks and geese instead of chickens...
I cannot wait to see how this turns out! If nothing else, you all have some great fun! And fresh turkey for turkey day! I bet that will be the best tasting turkey ever, if the girls arent too sad! Good Luck!
This looks like fun! I'll bet you guys are loving it! Can't wait to see pictures of the incredible chicken coop Dave is building.
We better get planning our trip! We want to see the chickens while they are still so cute. I know people do it all the time but I don't know if I could eat our pet.
What a blast! I can't wait to tell my kids about your "farm".
We love our chickens. We call them "the ladies" And the fresh eggs are the best. Chickens will eat anything...the more leftovers you give them the happier they'll be. I have a hard time eating regular store bought white eggs now.
Post a Comment