Sunday, July 20, 2008

...and on his farm he had some...goats

All week the girls have been picking blackberries from our bush in the back. We've been saving them for today to make a big blackberry crisp. They had a huge bowl full of berries...and there are many, many more berries to come. We just read up on freezing them - the girls want to freeze them so we can have some to make a berry pie for Grandpa John when he comes!


Working hard as a family on a home for our chickens, turkey and goats. Sadie is working especially hard.
Nate worked hard playing with this bag of nails. Earlier in the project, it was a box of nails that Nate dumped out, and then filled over and over. Don't worry, I sat with him so he didn't eat one or poke his eye out. I was thouroughly entertained watching Nate play with nails. I could have sat there for hours watching his little mind so wrapped up in filling this box of nails...and then quickly dumping it out to start over again. He was sooooooooo happy shaking this bag of nails. He thought he was so funny, too!



Sadie working hard again - trying out the chicken door.



Of course, we had to celebrate our day of getting a goat with goat cheese. I was pretty excited about our "fresh" lunch. We got goat cheese that morning from a farmer's market (from a lady who milks her goats and makes the cheese), tomatoes from our neighbors' garden, and basil leaves from someone at church. It would have topped it all off if I made the bread...but I didn't.
Dave worked hard all week on this project. Every night after dinner and then he worked til all of the light was gone. Dave worked all day Saturday, and by 8:00 that night, it was ready (Dave still wants to do a few finishing touches to make it look nicer, but the animals could be fenced in, and that was the important part!). The left side is for the chickens with a little door. The right side is for the goats. Meet...don't know her name yet. We're still working on it. We planned to get 2 boys, but the ones we looked at were too big (they were only half pygmy) so we decided on this 7 month old, and are getting another girl tomorrow. We had decided to NOT get a milking goat, but now we are a bit tempted to breed and make our own goat cheese. We'll see...
Nate about went nuts watching our new goat run around her little house. And then chickens running around everywhere...was about more than he can handle. I know most kids like animals...but I'm having a feeling that Nate just might be an animal lover like his dada (which name, I might add, Nate says. Hmmm...when will he say mama????)




11 comments:

emily said...

Way to go!!! That looks very professional...you better move out here next so you can recreate your farm. :)

Karla said...

What a great chicken coop! I want to come to Rolla for berry crisp; my favorite. What huge berries! You guys are have way too much fun. Can't wait for more stories!!

The Wilhelms said...

We are very impressed that the chicken coop is buit already! Way to go Dave! The blackberries look absolutely delicious. What is the plan with the goat? Just for fun?

Holbrook Girls said...

How fun to have goats and chickens in your backyard! The black berries look amazing. I bet the kids love to go out and pick them.

Jamie said...

That is AWESOME! You guys are having all the fun!


Chris was telling me that Chuck and Liz had chickens when their kids were little. Liz said that the kids earned a little money by selling the eggs to Mrs. Savadra (spelling?)

Jen said...

That is the biggest blackberry I have ever seen!
What a great chicken coop Dave!!
You guys are going to end up with your own petting zoo soon ... your backyard looks big enough for one! :)
Melissa, I love the pics of the food you make. The pictures should go into a cookbook, they look SO yummy!!

Alicia said...

Meliss...I am green with envy! All that fresh food (and food to be with those chickens) sounds like heaven! Can't wait to come and visit the Walton Farm!

Jonathan and Rachel said...

How awesome! I love the goat/chicken house -- and the pictures of you working on it together. I'm so impressed with Dave's carpentry skills. Can't wait to see more pictures.

jenn goodman said...

DAVE AND MELISSA!!
Oh my goodness! It's been forever since I've last seen or talked to you!!

We were in the Campbell Ward together. I was married to Mark Schlegel. We had Logan while in that ward. I remember shortly after the kiddos were born, you and Dave moved up to the City.

It's so fun to catch up on your family. The girls are soooo big and one's been added since I've last seen you. Your little boy is just precious! I'm so glad life seems to be going so well for you guys!

I am now remarried and living in Gilbert, AZ. Me and my hubby have 4 kiddos total; two are mine and two are his. We have a crazy busy life with all the schedules, but we are loving every minute of it!

I hope to hear from you soon. :)

Jenn Allen

Michiko said...

WOW! Good job everyone on building the animal house! You guys are quite the petting zoo!

Those berries look pretty tasty too. I've been wanting to make some hand pies I saw on a cooking blog, I wish we had some berry bushes in our backyard too! I have to buy mine, and besides being super-expensive, store bought berries have half the taste. Blech. Can't wait to hear what you make with all your fruit and eggs and goat milk!

Jan S said...

Meliss- Wow! I'm SO excited I found you! This is Jan Stoeckert- from waaaaay back in the MV Ward :) (Actually, you were the WHOLE reason why I joined the Church to begin with, remember?) I was doing a Google search to try to find your new address, as your Mom had told me last xmas (at a RS event) that you'd be moving to MO in June. We have to catch up! (If you're interested, that is. I understand if you're not!)

I just got back from visiting my family in KS and was thinking of moving there. Is that weird? There's been a lot of pain and difficulties in my life the last 6 months and I really need a change. But gosh- I'm SO jealous of your chickens and goats! I've been looking into getting chickens for YEARS, but I'm renting an apt, so not able to :(. Right now I have 5 cats?!? (One old one, a beautiful Snowshoe I adopted a few years ago, and 4 kittens I rescued from a stray mama cat near my apt. complex.) Your kids are DARLING- and you look as beautiful as ever! Let me know if you're interested in keeping in touch :) If not, I understand that, too....
My email: jstoeckert@yahoo.com. Love to you and your family!!! Jan