Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July - Missourian Style

The girls woke up soooooooooooo excited for it to be the 4th of July. They got dressed first thing (unlike Ash, especially) and tried to find only red, white and blue colors to wear. Sadie was upset because her blue jean shorts had a tiny bit of light brown stitching that showed. I assured her it wouldn't ruin her patriotic outfit.
We got a fun housewarming gift in the mail just after we got here - a checkerboard cake set. So the girls and I went to town making this checkerboard cake for 4th of July. We planned to do red and white checkerboard with blueberries on top, but we only had blue food coloring...so blue and white it was! The girls decorated the top themselves and were so happy with their little design.

We had a fun day of bbqs yesterday. For lunch we went to a family's house in the ward for a swim/bbq. They had the biggest backyard pool I've ever been in! For dinner we had a bbq with a few families in the neighborhood. The kids were at home with the trampoline (they miss G and Gs trampoline!) and had so much fun playing with all of the kids.
We saw some serious backyard fireworks. They had tonz of sparklers for all of the kids to do. Then when it got really dark, the guys put on quite a show. I was amazed that our neighbors knew how to put on a firework show like that. It was so cool! And even cooler to walk home afterwards instead of waiting an hour in the car to get out of the packed parking lot. Dave bought a few for our family to try, so we came home and set off a some more fireworks in our backyard (nothing like the neighbor show). It was funny to walk home and see/hear fireworks almost every direction. There is a firework show in town, but I think most people around here just do their own. ...after a late night for Nate. He was sleepy, but not asleep. I love that little hand holding on to Dave.
p.s. And the reason I am blogging so promptly about our day yesterday...because Nate decided to get up at 6:15 (didn't he remember that he stayed up really late last night and he should want to sleep in like the rest of the family?) So with Nate on my lap playing in the desk drawer, we blogged together bright and early.

6 comments:

Karla said...

Your cake is gorgeous! I like the way you decorated the top of it. Perfect color scheme for a celebration day. The kids look like they are having a fun time getting settled in.

emily said...

Love the checkers cake idea. Glad you've met some nice people there that you were able to share the holiday with!

The Wilhelms said...

Glad to see that you all made it to MO, and seem to be enjoying it so far! I am sure it was nice to see everyone in CA, even if it was a rushed trip (aren't they all)! I LOVE the picture of Nate and Dave, it is absolutely precious!We miss you guys! Maybe we will make it out there before you all move again!

Jen Howick said...

Hi Melissa and Dave! Long time no talk!!! I just found your blog through Shane's! I've spent the last few minutes catching up on your fun family - your kids are darling and you guys look awesome! - Jen (Torrens) Howick ps - tell Shannon she needs to join the blogging world!

Jamie said...

Queen of the cakes, Melissa! It looks gorgeous and delicious! Sure glad you guys are having fun and getting settled into your new home. We sure miss you guys!

Is that a FLAT STANLEY I see with Sadie?

Heidi said...

Sounds like a great day! I loved 4th of July in Kansas. The fireworks shows put on in the neighborhood are amazing. We had lots of fun with sparklers too.