Monday, July 28, 2008

Baby Judy

Yep - that's her name. Dave really liked the name Jude for a boy (human boy, that is) so he thought if he got a baby goat that's a boy, he would name it Jude. But no such luck for Dave. We have all girls. So we decided to name her Jude-y. The girls say we can call her Judah, or Jude for a nick-name. I call her baby - she is so sweet. She snuggles up when she's held. Wednesday a lady from our ward is coming over to show us the ropes of milking a mama goat and bottle feeding a baby goat. We can't wait to start!
This is Sarah - Sadie's goat (named by Sadie).
Buttercup - the mama - (Ashlyn's goat - named by Ash). This is how we found them this morning. They were all snuggled up after a wild storm in the wee hours of the morning.

The girls ran and got me and said to bring the camera. They were all sitting on one little rocking chair together like this and wanted me to take a picture. Nate puts up with A LOT and usually just goes along with their ideas. Someday that might end. Don't worry - Dave has strict rules about NO make-up, headbands, earrings, pink, etc.
I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked of these butterflies. Karla sent the girls such a fun science project. They each got 4-5 caterpillars in the mail that came in a little container that had food and a home for them. They watched them every day, and then even saw the process of the caterpillars spinning their chrysalis. It was so cool to watch! Then one day, they emerged from the chrysalis and started trying to use their little wings and fly. They held the butterflies like little pets and walked around with them. Poor Nate REALLY wanted to get his hands on them. We just let the last one go off into the real world today! We'll miss you little friends! I would list all of their names, but I can't remember them. The girls made up some wild, wacko names that I could hardly say let alone remember.

7 comments:

emily said...

Your goats remind me of some we had growing up. We originally named them after my only married sister and her husband...so they got a name change real quick to "salt" and "pepper."

Karla said...

Wow! The little farm family IS growing! I imagine Mr. Nate is just beside himself with such excitement from seeing all of the great animals. When Nate is a bit older (gee he has grown a lot since June) we will resend the butterfly project so he CAN get his hands on them.

Anonymous said...

Goat Judy looks so sweet and cuddly. We need to send Nate a little rubber pitch fork for bailing hay. He looks so happy.

Camene said...

Enjoy how sweet and little they are now. They grow so fast. And don't worry about Nate calling you mama. He'll learn soon and the goats will too! MAMA...

The Wilhelms said...

Well, gee. Doesn't Nate get a goat? J/K. Hope the milking and bottlefeeding goes well- I bet the girls will love that! We are just starting the butterfly project here- hope ours turns out as well as yours! I cannot believe how long the girls' hair has gotten!

Melissa Walton said...

You're right, Sarah. I guess that leaves the baby for Nate - that's fitting!

Alicia said...

When can we move next door?? What a fun, fun farm life you're living.