Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Mayo Clinic

It's not every day that you hop over to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota in the winter! 

After over a year's battle with eosinophil pneumonia, wacky blood tests that had my eosinophils charted at 10 times their normal production, 3 different specialists doing tests and more tests (including a bone marrow biopsy with all negative results except high eosinophils), it was highly recommended that I go to the Mayo Clinic for some answers. I was devastated to hear this news. The thought of leaving my family, my babies, heading to a freezing cold state in the middle of winter all by myself to do miserable tests for my health that has been so frustrating...it just sounded like too much. But we felt like I needed to go. We spent days stewing over what to do and how to do it. Me go alone? Dave come with me and leave the kids with Grandma? Friends? Bring the family? No options seemed right. Shannon and Scott had already so generously offered for Shannon to come help me in Colorado just because I had been so sick in general (she even had a ticket to CO already for the very week I would be scheduled at the Mayo Clinic). Dave thought Shannon coming would be a great option because of how she would cheer me up. He knows how she makes me laugh. I just felt so bad asking her to coming along so I wouldn't be lonely. I kept thinking I could just be tough and do it. Well, one day it just all clicked and we asked if Shannon would come to Minnesota with me and Dave could stay with the kids. 

It still makes me cry thinking about it. When I called and asked her, she told me that had I not asked her to come, she was planning to surprise me in Minnesota to be with me. Wow, wow, wow!! I feel forever in-debt to her for coming (and Scott for holding down the fort at home with 4 kids). She made  ALL the difference. 

I felt such a heavy weight leaving my family and going to such a serious place for health issues we couldn't resolve. But having Shannon there to make me laugh 100 times over again and to keep a positive attitude and just be at my side was the best medicine I could have asked for. 

She couldn't even come to my first appointment with me because we were worried we would get the giggles and the doctors wouldn't take me seriously. Instead she sat right outside and was there the second I came out. 
 Here we are on our first morning at the Mayo Clinic. I have come to have very fond feelings of this place. There is a special spirit there of love and warmth and kindness. The doctors and staff were amazing and truly care.
 One of the many buddies we made while at Mayo. So many people sit for hours at this place waiting, waiting, waiting for appointments. We talked to so many people, heard their life stories, shared, and just passed the time as we all waited and waited! It's amazing how many struggles are going on in people's lives that you just can't know until you sit down and have a conversation. I love people and I loved getting to meet so many wonderful people in Minnesota!
 A picture I texted to Mom to let her know I was taking good care of Shannon.
 There was this beautiful grand piano and there was almost always someone playing Christmas music on it. These two old men were playing and were so cute! It brought so much cheer to the whole place!



With my wonderful Dr. Patel! He was amazing. One of the days he spent 90 minutes with us. Who does that anymore? The next morning he spent about an hour. We had some good talks about life and it was so neat to get to know him and see his love for his patients and take such great care in his life's work. 

There were many times I had to fast for different tests. I was holding a can of my favorite almonds to just get in the smell since I couldn't eat.

 I was on the phone and Shannon wandered into a small museum at Mayo. It made me smile to see her sitting on the ground reading away! We had some time to burn while there. :)
This place was beautiful. They made such great efforts to make it a welcoming, lovely place. It really does cheer you up to be somewhere so beautiful.
Just one example of this place. This was waiting to get blood drawn. I think we counted 77 people. You show up, meet with a doctor, and then are given an itinerary of all your appointments and tests. It's quite a production they have going on. It's so orderly and well executed. The waiting is usually because you are trying to get a test done early so you just wait for an open spot. But for the normal tests and appointments on the itinerary, I was always seen on time. 

We had good and bad news. The good news was that after an echo, CT scans, and a million other tests, they couldn't find anything wrong or that was causing my elevated eosinophils. Especially after all my lungs have been through, I was thankful that my lungs were not damaged in any way. I was so thankful for a healthy heart and other organs. The frustrating part is that they deemed my case "idiopathic" and explained that sometimes they just can't find the cause. So they will treat the eosinophils with medication and the hope is that before long my body will re-boot and stop making extras. 

With our answers, we packed up and headed out for a little fun before our flight the next morning. 
The first stop was the Mall of America. When Dave told the kids we might all go to Minnesota, he told them about this mall with a roller coaster. Nate was set on going. He was bummed he couldn't go so I assured them I would ride on the roller coaster for them. We also stopped at the huge Lego store. It was fun to have a chance to shop up and down a mall like that - I don't think we've done that together since high school. 
That night we had a wonderful visit to the LDS Minnesota temple. It was a perfect end to our trip together. 

The video Dave posted was my welcome home present that they made for me. Dave worked half days and Ash and Sadie held down the fort while he was gone. Ash had a big week of school work so it wasn't easy but she managed to get a lot done when Dave got home each day. They were all such a huge help. Ashlyn was extra thankful for me to get home and said "Mom, I can't believe how much you do!" I guess it's good for them to get a taste of motherhood once in a while! 

Getting ready for the in-mall roller coaster!

1 comment:

Lhone said...

I'm glad you got some answers. I gotta be honest, the trip actually looked fun. I bet the other people liked watching and listening to the two of you.