Thursday, August 28, 2008
Sweet and Sour Chicken
This morning the girls were out feeding the animals. They came running in saying "Mom, Mom, we have a rooster!" I wasn't sure what they meant -because we have already spotted at least 2 of our chickens that are probably roosters. This wasn't new news. Then they said "No, it was cock-a-doodle-doo-ing!" Sure enough, when we went outside, Rainbow's twin (Rainbow is the one that died) was perched up on the edge of the chair in the middle of their pen, cock-a-doodle-doo-ing. We've tried to warn Ash over and over that the roosters will most likely turn into food for us - or someone. We can't keep roosters in this neighborhood that will wake everyone up at the crack of dawn. I light-heartedly turned to Ash and said "Well, I'll make you a big plate of sweet and sour chicken." (That's Ashlyn's favorite dinner.) She didn't think it was very funny. Unless we can find someone who wants a rooster, Dave will be quietly taking care of things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Poor girls. That is one of the reasons we don't own pets. We had some fish and Melissa was in mourning for weeks.
So goes life on the farm...poor Ash.
Oh my gosh, you're really going to eat them?!? Oh no! I just pray Dave knows how to do it quickly and painlessly. My mom still remembers her Grandmother killing chickens on the farm each summer. Ugh! I think the future farm of my dreams will be kill-less :)
Jan - you and Ashlyn would get along well. I don't know if we could really eat our pets - but I know we can't keep the roosters. Don't worry, Dave will be quick about it.
Quick as an ax...
Hey, I'm impressed you can keep your pets at all. We had a fish, for a couple of days until it disentigrated. I still don't know how that happened. We obviously shouldn't have pets. It sounds like a fun house though!
Dave..nice comment! You make me laugh :)
Just don't have the girls around when you do the chopper-roo, as my mom is still traumatized from "being chased" by the headless rooster! I can't believe I'm making a joke out of it....boo-hoo! (I guess that means you're really serious about eating Mr. Turkey, too? I need counseling!)
I'm thinking about Sadie's comment: "Well, that's how life is."
Well said...
I know how Ashlyn feels! My dad was a hunter and I would sit at the table and cry anytime he'd bring home a fresh kill for dinner! I'd eat it from the store but the thought of my DAD killing something was more than my tender heart could handle!
Post a Comment