I've dealt with allergies for years. They come and go. Sometimes they are pretty strong and other times just lots of itching and sneezing. I've had some rough bouts with it lately, and finally it got so bad that I decided I better get tested. Everyone was worried that I would be allergic to our dog, Jack. And sure enough, after the 69 tests of different allergens, I am very allergic to dogs, among some trees and a few other things. I felt awful when I had to come home and tell the news to the kids. We tried to think of keeping him as an outside dog, but with how much he sheds and how much the kids would bring his hair inside, and how bad I was, we knew we just had to find a home for him. There were lots of tears.
Ashlyn wrote a note to give to the new owner. Dave placed an ad and within minutes we had a family that seemed like the perfect fit. They have a son who loves dogs, a very playful dog who needed a playmate, and a very loving and friendly mom and dad who love dogs. They came over to meet us and the dogs got along so well. Nate got the giggles many times watching them chase each other and be silly. Amidst many tears, Nate was so mature about it all. He kept saying that he wanted Jack to be happy most of all, and he thought Jack would be even happier having a best dog friend.We all huddled together and cried when Jack drove off. It was a very sad time. We were about to head out to go bowling for Nate's birthday and that helped us all cheer up a bit. (Yes, Nate's birthday was the day after we gave Jack away. Awful timing.)
This is Nate and I the night before we gave Jack to a new family. We were all tired which made the crying a lot worse! Nate sobbed and sobbed. I couldn't keep the tears back to see my boy so sad and to think that I was the cause of it! Hard on the mama!
I think Jack was sad, too.
The new owners were soooooo nice. They texted that night to let us know how Jack was doing and even called the next day so we could FaceTime with Jack. Here are the kids talking to Jack on the iPad. Surprisingly, they are all doing pretty well with the adjustment. There have been more tears, but mostly they are doing ok. I still feel awful that I took Nate's "brother" away from him. Nate and Jack were the best of buddies and it still makes me cry now when I think about it.





1 comment:
Sadly, I know how this feels as the mom. Gibson always tells me as soon as he has his own place, he will have a dog...
Post a Comment