Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Both Sad and Glad

Great Grandpa Walton used to tell a story about being both sad and glad. When I was out in CA, I heard Uncle Chuck speak in church, and for the first time I heard the WHOLE sad and glad story.

The other day - I was sad and glad. Sad that my little baby is 18 months old and doesn't need me to feed him his oatmeal every morning. Glad that my little baby is 18 months old, folds his arms to pray before he eats anything, and can feed himself while I can get dishes done. I have spent every day for the past 18 months feeding him his breakfast in one form or another and now he is Mr. Independent and wants to feed himself EVERYTHING, and walk by himself (no hand holding) EVERYWHERE. I love that little boy.


Which one of these is not like the other? We laughed so hard when we saw the mini egg.

Nate knows what Sadie's sewing machine is really for.

Nate's preferred choice of seating for family night. Silly boy.



7 comments:

Becky said...

I dont' know the sad and glad story. I'd love to hear it. Nate is so adorable! It's goes by too fast, doesn't it?

emily said...

He is so cute. What a fun age that is. I also need to be reminded of the sad and glad story...

What in the world is that mini egg?! You didn't eat it did you?

Karla said...

Ha ha ha! Did a bird get in to the chicken coop, or does one of the hens lay petite eggs! I know of "small" eggs, but MINI??

Nate's expressions are a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e! I love the pics!

Brittany said...

You guys don't remember the sad and glad story? I don't remember all the details but it is the one about the hiker who was told to pick up a bunch of stones. Then later he looked in his sack and the stones had turned into gold. So he was sad that he didn't grab more but he was glad for the ones he had. Thats the gist of it right? Ring any bells? I used to love when Grandpa would tell that story!

That egg is HILARIOUS. I love it!

The Wilhelms said...

You know, I just don't get the obsessions that kids have with laundry baskets. But Nate sure does look cute in it! I cannot believe that he is 18 months already and feeding himself breakfast...time sure does fly! Nate's one of those kids you just want to scoop up and squeeze because he is so cute!

Dave said...

Britt...close but not quite. The guy was walking at night and was told to pick up as many stones as he could. He picked up a bunch, put them in a bag and kept walking. In the morning he looked in his bag and saw that the stones were jems. He would never be able to find the place again because he had continued walking in the dark. He was glad he had grabbed them but sad he hadn't grabbed more....sad and glad.

Brittany said...

Ahh thank you Dave for the clarification. You are always so wise...