We finally made cheese. We started with feta...and someday will try chevre. As long as you have a few days (mostly playing the waiting game) it's really not that hard to make. We save up the milk from Mama goat Buttercup, and then started in on the process. I was amazed at how much whey is leftover after you get the curd separated. Then I learned that ricotta is made mostly from the whey.
Here we are...separating the curds from the whey.
(By the way, the baking soda and vinegar you see in the background did not go into the cheese. We were making a volcano mixture for a science project in between the cheese making.)
The cheese before entering our home made cheese press. AFTER starting our cheese making process, I came to the part in the recipe where it said to pull out your cheese press. Cheese press? Yikes! Don't have one of those laying around. So I made my own cheese press. I never got a picture of it.
The finished product. Taste-wise, I thought it was a little too salty. I'm not sure if I put too much salt in the cheese, or if it was an overly salted brine that the cheese sits in while in the fridge. I'm guessing that making cheese is a trial and error sort of thing until you get it really good. I'll let you know if that ever happens.
Tomorrow we are having 2 gallons of our friend's cow's milk delivered. We have a field trip Thursday morning where a friend will teach us how to make mozzarella with our milk.
4 comments:
Wow! This looks time consuming as well as fun. I have a greater appreciation for the price of feta cheese now. One of my favorite songs is "When Joseph Went To Bethlehem", you know the line "He carried bread and goat cheese in a little linen sack." I bet they made the goat cheese just like you guys.
Wow! That is so cool! I'm excited to hear how the other cheese turns out from the milk you are getting DELIVERED!!!!
You guys are amazing. Who makes their own cheese?!!
looks like you all had fun! The cheese looks like it came out well, homemade press and all. the boys all like feta- not my thing. but homemade mozz? Now we're talking. nothing better than the real (fattening) stuff! YUM! Hope it comes out well!
Post a Comment