Sunday, September 15, 2013

Picture Marathon

It's been a while since I've put any pictures on the blog. Here's a recap of our last 4 months. Why is it that many of our pictures are about snakes?
 We have a huge magpie nest in our backyard. There were baby birds and one baby kept falling out. Nate was sitting on the chair, which was on the table, to keep an eye on the baby bird.
 This was the first rattler of the season. For some strange reason, I really wanted to shoot the first snake. Nate heard the rattle in a bush and called for us. Dave was kind enough to pull the rattler out of the bush so I could have an easy shot. Here we are preparing the snake for his death.
 Dave and Nate just got a prairie dog. They are sorta cute, but not when they are in your yard.
 One day I went to put something away and found where Nate had put his boots away. It made me smile.
 Sadie got Dave's old 22 for her birthday. She was so shocked and sooooo happy. Ash was so funny about it. "I got a pellet gun and Sadie gets a 22!!!?????" Then Nate said "I  know what this means. When I turn 10 I'm going to get an ak47!" Yeah right.

 Sadie spotted a nice bull snake in our backyard.
 A trip to the Jelly Belly Factory with the Draper's!
 A trip to Uncle Mike's fire station. Nate was in heaven.
 All of the Walton cousins together!
 Jamie planned the cutest "unbirthday party" for all of the cousins.

 Going to the cemetery is always a highlight when we are in California.
 There have been some fun surprises that the old owners of this home left for us. We love these flowers in the pond.
 What a special treat it was for Dave and I to take Ashlyn to the Denver temple for the first time.
 We were honored to have my sister's sister-in-law bring her family out for a visit. We had such a fun time.
 Dave and the kids built a massive fire pit for some fun nights of smore's.
 Hiking to the top of the hill with the Draper's. They were on a hunt to find a snake. Shannon and I went on a long walk just to exercise and talk...and we were the lucky ones to find the snake! Shannon got to shoot it.
 Nate loves to dress Jack up. Jack is such a good sport.
 Since we homeschool, that "first day of school" isn't quite the same. We do have a wonderful school we attend once a week. Suddenly it hit me that it was the first day of school and I better take a picture! Ash starts earlier than Sadie and Nate so she wasn't with us.
 Our ward had a pinewood derby race on Labor Day. Smaug (Nate's bearded dragon) was showcased on Sadie's car. He didn't win the fastest award but he did win for most creative.
 Ashlyn's first snake she got to shoot!
 Sadie's first snake.
 It was an exciting Sunday morning when we found two rattle snakes back to back.
 Nate's not a big fan of Sundays. They are long and boring to him. On this particular Sunday after finding two snakes, Nate said "This is the best Sunday of my life." Dave skinned both snakes (the heart was beating for 40 minutes after it was shot) and also cooked them up to go with our dinner. Disgusting.
 Preparing to fry them up!
 Nate loved the snake and kept asking for more. Right after the blessing on the food Nate said "Dad, can you please pass the rattlesnake?"

 Ashlyn's face matched probably how mine looked when I tried my one tiny bite. It was gross.
 Last year Nate's birthday party was a Civil War reenactment. This year it was the Revolutionary War.
 Nate is putting the camel from Grandma Walton to good use.

 Dave is teaching Nate how to use the revolver to shoot a snake. Nate got him right in the neck.

Grandma and Grandpa with all of the Fishbein cousins.

4 comments:

Dayna Simons said...

Oh, Melissa! How brave you are! I was feeling a little weak just looking at the photos! I need your crew here to catch the snakes in my yard!

emily said...

Are thee really that many snakes there?! Wow. And the cooking it bit, hmm. I may not show Scott this post, I don't want him getting ny ideas. But I guess it is good to know you could be self sufficient and live off snake if you could.

Lori said...

So fun to see all these fun pictures, although I must admit that I skipped over the snake cooking ones!

Jamie said...

Holy moly!