Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Anne Frank, one of our heroes

Tonight the girls and I finished reading Anne Frank's diary. I was in tears at the end as I thought about this girl who suffered so much while hiding for over 2 years, and then died just 2 months before the war ended.

Sadie's favorite part of the book: Anne and Peter's romance. You should have seen the girls' faces when Anne told that Peter kissed her on the LIPS! They just about died. Sadie's eyes widened and a playful grin came up every time Anne talked about holding hands with Peter or their talks sitting by each other with their shoulders touching.

Ashlyn's favorite part of the book: Hearing the daily life of a 13 year-old girl. Even though Anne was a few years older than Ash, she loved hearing Anne's opinions about life, what she liked and didn't like, and she also enjoyed hearing about Anne's first real boyfriend.

My favorite part of the book: The reminder I had to be grateful that I can walk outside and enjoy nature, that I don't have to eat rotten potatoes for dinner every day, and that I can live my life without fear of being "taken" at any moment . Most of all, this book helped me put my own trials in perspective...life really isn't so bad.

The girls often talked about how happy they are that Anne is happy in heaven and isn't hiding any more. A moving book, indeed!

2 comments:

Seriously... said...

ok...i'm going to have to try to make cake batter ice cream....that sounds so yummy! It would be fun for birthdays.....I'm glad to hear you had at least a little good news today regarding nate's hips.....hopefully everything will go smoothly with his upcoming surgery and you can put this behind you!

Sheri said...

There is a cool monument in Boise that has one of her quotes on a big rock...something like she had to believe somewhere there was still good people in the world or something. You are such a good mom!